In Trials on
5 May, 2012

Your love makes it worth it

Earlier this week, I found myself just having a reallyย bad day.

You know, one of those days that starts off really great and good things happen, but then all of a sudden something happens that knocks the wind right out of you. One minute you feel strong and tall, and the next minute you’re on the floor, feeling hopeless.

I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced a tough day of the magnitude I just described, but I do want to share with you how I got through it. It made a world of difference to my perspective and my pain, and I hope it encourages someone out there.

Since I began memorizing the book of James a couple of weeks ago, I have begun to use it to fight negative thoughts. If you’re anything like me (LOL, actually, if you’re human), you’ve experienced some difficult things in your lifetime. Your life hasn’t been perfect. You’ve been hurt and you’ve even felt heartache. In times when I feel down because of things that have happened to me, I force myself to start quoting James, even if all I’ve got memorized is a few verses. And let me tell you, it has begun to transform me and bring me through some super tough days. It’s sort of like having encouraging scripture verses on index cards, but much more effective because you are literally preaching to yourself. And, in addition, you can encourage yourself anywhere, anytime (even while driving), without needing to locate your 3×5 cards!

So, on this “bad day,” I had already memorized exactly 12 verses of Chapter 1. I began to quote them aloud, and when I got to the very last verse, verse 12, my tears began to fall even more quickly. But they had gone from being bad tears to being good ones. You’ll see why.

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.ย James 1:12

Here’s how I see it: No matter what I face in this lifetime, I must remember that my earthly life is temporary. While it is sometimes filled with pain and heartache, I must remember that if I keep my faith in God and believe that he died to save me from eternal damnation, I’ll get to heaven one day. And when I’m there, as Revelation 21:4 says, there will be no more tears. No more pain.

That’s a future worth dealing with the temporary pain, don’t you think? There’s a worship song by Kim Walker (“I Surrender”) that says, “Your love makes it worth it, your love makes it worth it all.”

Amen to that.

On days when you feel that you can’t go on anymore, remember that HIS love and the “crown of life” make all of our earthly pains worth pressing through. He’ll give you the strength to do it if you ask him and if you surrender. I promise.

Jen

Previous Post Next Post

18 Comments

• selah

A great post. I’m going to have to re-read the book of James myself. thank you.

5 May, 2012 at 7:26 pm Reply
    • Jennifer Hope

That is a great idea ๐Ÿ™‚ James is wonderful. I’ve read through it twice but feel like I’m only just now beginning to fully get it!

5 May, 2012 at 10:42 pm Reply
  • mymansrib

Love this.
    So much.
    So much.

5 May, 2012 at 7:37 pm Reply
  • Meshawn Senior

Great idea, memorizing the book of James! Thanks for sharing.

5 May, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reply
  • RebeccaAarup

I started memorizing 1 Corinthians 6 which has been a huge help. Especially verses 9-12. It takes me from where I’ve been to where I’m going! Love it!

5 May, 2012 at 9:21 pm Reply
    • Jennifer Hope

That’s so awesome! I’m about to go look those verses up… ๐Ÿ™‚

5 May, 2012 at 10:44 pm Reply
      • RebeccaAarup

They might not be what you’d expect but they’ve been instrumental in me breaking free from my past and maintaining that freedom.

5 May, 2012 at 10:54 pm Reply
  • cindyhfrench

oh Jen, how wise you are for being so young! as in comparison to me! What a beautiful post and yes, you brought tears to my eyes too, because I knew what was coming! and you are so right! I had an insurance lady telling me over and over on Friday that she was so sorry for me and all that I have to go through! I kept telling not to feel sorry at all…now that I have learned from Him all that I have just the past few years, I just look forward to my going home-no pain, no breathing issues. What a glory that will be! Just today it was brought home to me. My husband and I went to the mall. We walked through half of the bottom floor of one store and then up an escalator to a 2nd store just shopping for casual Tshirts for him. Not a lot of walking around-but back and forth to the dressing room, etc. Then we went to the grocery store. By the time we got there, I had to use my cane just for support and I was able to get through the produce section and pick out some b’day cards and I couldn’t walk around anymore. Thank God for my sweet husband who does the shopping for us!
    I took the keys and went to the car and let him finish. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an awful disease. Not only does it affect your joint, but in my case it attacks my organs-my heart, my lungs, my kidneys. This was the case this week when not only was I hurting everywhere, but every night I woke wheezing having a difficult time breathing. Eventually I had to give up and go on the prednesone and every night and morning doing the breathing treatments. Next week I will get a new dose of the Remicaid, the dosage I have been told will be increased, because obviously I am still not in remission! so tonight, just a little extra prayer with my name on it, please?

5 May, 2012 at 9:30 pm Reply
    • mymansrib

Cindy, I prayed for you. Last night.
      And this morning.

6 May, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply
      • cindyhfrench

thank you mymansrib, that means alot to me also

6 May, 2012 at 9:11 am Reply
    • Jennifer Hope

I just saw your comment, Cindy! Praying for you now friend. ๐Ÿ™‚

6 May, 2012 at 8:50 am Reply
  • brianwilliamsen

Great post, and I love James 1:12 as well!

5 May, 2012 at 11:11 pm Reply
  • It’s ALL a PURE joy | Jennifer's Hope

[…] Post navigation ← Your love makes it worth it […]

8 May, 2012 at 8:40 am Reply
  • Drew Tatusko

Consider this statement from St. John Chrysostom:

“It is necessary most of all for one who is fasting to curb anger, to accustom himself to meekness and condescension, to have a contrite heart, to repulse impure thoughts and desires, to examine his conscience, to put his mind to the test and to verify what good has been done by us in this or any other week, and which deficiency we have corrected in ourselves in the present week. This is true fasting.”

Apply this same mindset to trials. The reward isn’t just in what we get in heaven, but in the intimacy we achieve with God through the trials of life. Trials force our hand to let go of the things over which we have no control in this world to focus on God alone, or cling to them which will only cause us more pain and distance from God. That is why we fast and pray. This is one practice that trains us through self-discipline so that when trials do face us, we have the spiritual strength to endure.

8 May, 2012 at 11:42 pm Reply
  • Homepage

… [Trackback]…

[…] Read More: jennifershopeblog.com/2012/05/05/your-love-makes-it-worth-it-7/ […]…

22 October, 2012 at 4:45 am Reply
  • What did you think of this post?