In All Things English, Lifestyle, Reading on
25 January, 2017

10 Books to Read if You Love Jane Austen

pride-and-prejudice-2005

10-books-if-you-love-jane-austen

images via 1 & 2

If you have been following me for any length of time, you’ve probably noticed that I love Jane Austen. I have loved her since I was first introduced to her by Rory Gilmore more than a decade ago. Do you remember when Rory told Dean to read Emma, and he admitted he liked it? Pretty sure I set out the very next day to purchase my first Austen. (My Gilmore girls love runs deep. Just being honest.)

I have noticed on Instagram that many of you also love Miss Austen. And since I read a lot of novels (and since Austen only wrote 6 of them) I’ve compiled a short reading list of other great works – both new and old – that any Austen lover would adore. Most of them are set in England in the 1800s, but a few of them are set in Canada in the 1900s.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

The Kiss of A Stranger by Sarah M Eden

The Tutor’s Daughter by Julie Klassen

A Heart Revealed by Josi S Kilpack

Arabella by Georgette Heyer

When Calls The Heart by Janette Oke

Seeking Persephone by Sarah M Eden

Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery

Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson

If you’ve made it this far, you must love Jane Austen as much as I do. So, I’d also love to give you access to one of my brand new printables (which isn’t even listed on my Etsy shop yet)! Simply click here, download, print and enjoy!

P & P New Mockups

What are some of your favorite historical/period novels? I’d love to hear your recommendations! Leave me a comment below ❤

Previous Post Next Post

12 Comments

• Bre

Persuasion by Jane Austen is my favorite, and even though it is a movie instead of a book, I would recommend Il Mare. It is the original story to what we now have in the movie The Lake House. Beautiful tale about getting to know someone, falling in love, and the patience it takes to have it happen in real time. So, if you want to experience a totally different language and culture, I recommend Il Mare.

26 January, 2017 at 3:45 pm Reply
    • Jennifer Hope

Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely check it out! <3

1 May, 2017 at 6:24 pm Reply
  • Amber

I love Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell! It’s close enough for my Jane Austen loving heart. 🙂 E.G. also wrote North and South, which deals with a different socio-economic problem than Austen does, but it’s still pretty good!

26 January, 2017 at 9:05 pm Reply
    • Jennifer Hope

I have yet to get my hands on a Gaskell, but I need to!!

1 May, 2017 at 6:23 pm Reply
    • Susie

Elizabeth gaskel also wrote a biography on Charlotte brontè. She did an amazing job i loved it

25 May, 2017 at 12:48 am Reply
    • Sandy

Gaskell’s north and south is pride and prejudice, in an edgier, industrial age era. It is more than social arrogance, it is workers vs. Bosses(masters), as well has southern england mores vs. Industrial north independence. It is my recent fav. Movie with Richard Armitage is excellent casting to part.

4 August, 2017 at 5:51 pm Reply
      • Jennifer Hope

Thank you for the recommendation!! I am going to be reading North & South this November with an online book club!! Let me know if you are interested in joining us. I am not the one organizing it, but anyone is welcome to join 🙂

1 September, 2017 at 4:52 pm Reply
  • 5 Things Jane Austen Has Taught Me About Life (Pt. 1) – Jennifer's Hope

[…] Do you love Jane Austen as much as I do? Check out my other posts: Why Every Girl Should Read Jane Austen & 10 Books to Read If You Love Jane Austen. […]

9 May, 2017 at 6:52 am Reply
  • 16 Must-Read Classic Novels – Jennifer's Hope

[…] plan on sharing more reading lists with my readers on a regular basis (have you checked out 10 Books to Read if You Love Jane Austen?), so today I am rounding up a few of my favorite classic novels and also sharing with you the ones […]

18 May, 2017 at 6:34 am Reply
  • Susie

I havent had chance to read all of the Jane Austen books but out of the few i have read so far my favourite it sense and sensability

25 May, 2017 at 12:41 am Reply
  • Friday Favorites (No. 6) – Jennifer's Hope

[…] other news, 10 Books to Read if You Love Jane Austen has officially received more than 1300 repins on Pinterest, and I am overwhelmed. I truly believe […]

8 September, 2017 at 9:42 am Reply
  • 10 *More* Books to Read If You Love Jane Austen – Jennifer's Hope

[…] some of you may know, earlier this year I posted an article called 10 Books to Read if You Love Jane Austen. And, before I can go any further in sharing my second list of this kind, I feel the need to just […]

12 September, 2017 at 6:20 am Reply
  • What did you think of this post?